If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree - Jim Rohn

Thursday 17 March 2011

Water, water everywhere

And I haven't had enough to drink. I can feel the headache brewing behind my eyes.

I am usually (like 99% of the time) really, really good with drinking water. I pretty much don't drink anything else. A little orange juice or tea. Very occassionally some coke or other fizzy soda. I just don't want it, and I don't like how it makes me feel.

But today, my water consumption is very very bad. I was only supposed to work a 6 hour shift today, so I didn't take my water bottle. I always take a water bottle to work with me. But today I didn't. And instead of a 6 hour shift, I got a 9 hour shift. I was on my feet for 8 hours today, and we were busy. No time to sneak off to the taps to drink something.

And when my water intake is bad, my food is bad. Today it included 2 chocolate bars, and a McFlurry from Macca's (McDonalds). Very, very bad.

I am, unfortunately, one of those people who suffer from migraines. And debilitating ones at that. The sort of ones that leave me curled up around the toilet for 2 reasons: 1: I'm not sure if I'm going to throw up or not, and 2: the floor is cold. Migraines make me really hot and I find it hard to cool down. This is bad for me because I don't feel the heat. I also can't take even the slightest bit of light or noise. Even the tiniest noise makes my head feel like a jackhammer is quite happily hammering away at my brain, and light makes me feel like someone is trying to slice out my eyes and my brain with a knife. It's not pleasant. Neither is the fact that the slightest bit of movement makes my head ache, and my stomach roll. It's like the worst hangover you've ever had, without the fun part.

I'm lucky that I don't get them very often. Maybe once or twice a year. Usually if I'm stressed, but if I've had very little water, and I can feel a headache starting, like I can right now, it can quickly turn into a migraine if I don't take immediate action. This usually being 2 asprin (or ibuprofen depending on the severity) and at least a litre of water. If I'm not fast enough with that it involes my bed and trying to sleep it off. At the moment, asprin and water seems to be doing the trick.

So, trainer tip for you: DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!! I try and drink 2lt (67+ ounces) a day. More if I'm exercising, or it's really, really hot.

So, I didn't get a walk in yesterday. I know, I know, I swore I was going to. But I took my washing off the line abotu 30 seconds before we were hit with a drenching rain. Unfortunately it did nothing to stop the heat. But it did prevent me from going for a walk. And I'm not one of those people who is overly enthusiastic about going to the gym if I'm just doing cardio. So, I didn't go. But I didn't feel guilty either.

So, today I planned on going after work. Which I was supposed to finish at 12pm. But M twisted her ankle bad enough to need crutches last night, so I worked an extra 3 hours. She very bravely tried to come to work today, and lasted 4 hours sitting down before the pain got to her and I drove her home. In her car. Which means mine was left at work (about 5-10 minutes walk).

So I planned to go after I finished work at 3. But when I dropped M home, we got sidetracked. So I walked to get my car (up 2 hills) and drove her to get something for lunch (which she hadn't had). We ended up at Macca's (hence the McFlurry) and then back to her place to watch Tangled. *I want the chameleon and the horse :D

So basically, I left my house at 5.45am, and got back at 7pm. Needless to say I didn't make it to the gym. But I did only have a salad with chicken and bacon for dinner (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, green capsicum, a little danish fetta, 1/2 a chicken breast fry fried and a little diced bacon). It's my go to meal. It's easy, quick and filling.

Then after dinner (and watching the Biggest Loser, and if that's not motivation I'm not sure what is), I got on the Wii fit for 30 minutes. I haven't been on it for nearly 2 months *hangs head in shame. Oops. It was mainly balance work tonight. A little boxing to warm up, alot of balance games (I have bad ankles from years of gymnastics and netball and I really need to strengthen them and this is a great way to do it), and then some yoga to cool down. It was actually pretty good. I'm very competitive so I like to beat my best score (or get to the end in the Bubble Balance games. I haven't managed it on the Wii Fit Plus version yet. The bee's keep busting my bubble).

So I got a little exercise done, and ate lightly for dinner to make up for the terrible snacking I had today.

Going to drink some more water and then head to bed. Got the alarm set for 6am tomorrow. Going to get my gym session in before work (working 10am-8pm) because I know I won't get it in afterwards. Especially when I have to be at work at 6am on Saturday.

Night

No comments:

Post a Comment