If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree - Jim Rohn

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Blogger Challenge Week 5

Whirlsie posed a great question for this week's blogger challenge:

What does being healthy mean to YOU? What is it that has made you start this journey into being a healthier you?


An interesting, and brain scratching, question.

Health means different things to different people, and different things at different stages of life. What healthy was to me a few years ago, probably isn't what it means to me now, and more than likely, won't be what it means to me in a few more years.

I don't get sick. I never have. Other than the odd cold I don't get even the normal virus' that most people seem to get. I never even had the chicken pox as a child. So I guess I've taken my health for granted. I have never broken a bone, and I've never been seriously sick. I don't have any allergies, nor do I have hayfever, asthma or eczema. I an generally healthy.

My weight, like many, is the primary reason for me embarking on the 12wbt. I am overweight. I feel overweight. I look overweight. And I hate it. So I'm going to change it.

Healthy, to me, right now? Being able to do the things I want to do, rather than only things that my body is capable of doing.

Same ageI saw this picture the other day, and it really got me thinking. Which of these 2 ladies do I want to be when I get to that age? Do I want to be the one who looks frail, and needs assistance daily? Or do I want to be the one who is still full of life and vitality? I know the answer to that one.

My grandmother is 72 this year. She lives in her own home with her dog. My grandfather died 11 years ago. None of the family live closer than 1 hour away. She has to rely on herself to do everything on a daily basis. I want to be able to do that. I want to be independent for as long as possible. I want my body to be able to support me until it wears out, but from use, not from frailty.

I want to be able to appreciate my body for all the things it can do, not all the things it can't do.


I want to feel healthy inside and out.

I want to be fit.

I want to enjoy life without worrying about how I look, or if I will be able to keep up, or even do the things that others are doing.

So I guess, to me, right now, that's what being healthy means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment