If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree - Jim Rohn

Friday 16 March 2012

Work Woes

I hate not being able to have a routine. How I would love to be one of those people who worked a set number of hours a day, a set number of days a week, the same days week in week out. But I don't. I work casual. At a supermarket. My days aren't the same 2 weeks in a row. My hours aren't the same 2 days in a row. I might only get the required 10 hours between when I finish work, and when I start again the next day.

All in all... it sucks.

Take last week. My roster said 5am-1pm on Friday. 5am-3pm on Saturday. And 3pm-8pm on Sunday.

This is what it was supposed to be. This is what it was when I left work on Thursday afternoon at 2pm.

When I arrived at work at 4.50am on Friday, it was to be told that I was not in the deli, but in the bakery. Same time, different department. Like someone couldn't have told me. Then, a few hours later I was told by my deli manager that my Saturday shift was changed to 3pm-9pm because one of the girls wouldn't work nights and to start on Sunday at 11am. Then I was told by one of the guys in the cash office that I was now finishing at 8.30pm because I had too many hours.

That was fine. Then I went grocery shopping on Saturday morning. I was served by my 2IC. She told me that I was to finish at 8 so I didn't need a lunch break. Fine with me. So, I had lunch. Had a snack before I left for work. Was organised enough to know what I was having for dinner when I got home.

Soooo, off to work I went.

To be told, 45 minutes after I started, that my manager wanted me to stay until 9pm, and start at 12 on Sunday, because she doesn't trust the guy I was working with to do his job properly.

HOW IS THAT MY FAULT?!!!

So, I worked it out. 3 shifts. 3 days. 7 SHIFT CHANGES!!!!!!

Can you believe it? And not once get a phone call! It seems they can only call when they want me to start early.

Like today.

I got up early to take a PT session. But, because of my hours and non-routine that I have, I was so tired that I went back to bed. When I woke back up at 9.30, I planned to have breakfast, clean up, get my butt to the gym and cook my dinner so that I could eat it at 9pm when I got home from my 4-9 shift.

I had breakfast. I started to clean up. Then I got a phone call. 'The bakery is short a person, so we've put your 2IC in there, and can you come in at 12 and cover for her?'

Ahhh, no, I can't come in at 12. It's 11.20 right now. I'll be in at 1. Still go home at 9. Come back in at 7am tomorrow.

That didn't happen.

It's now after midnight. I signed out of work at 11.33pm. I'll be back at 9.33AM.

Tonight wasn't anyones fault. A lady I was working with has been having ex husband issues and she had to go home. Not her fault. But we couldn't get anyone to replace her. So I closed, essentially on my own. My manager helped (a little. Like kinda doing the washing up.) But I did everything else.

So, I get my 10 hours break. Which is crap. The 10 hour break is 10 hours from signing out to signing back in. So, an hour each side to come home/go back to work. I need to eat. I need to shower. I need to sleep.

All in 10 hours. I don't think so.

This has been so hard on my 12wbt thingy. I'm not sleeping. I'm not eating properly. I'm not exercising. I don't have any routine.

And I'm not sure how to fix it.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment