If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree - Jim Rohn

Thursday 2 May 2013

Day 2: Educate

It's day 2 of the Blog everyday May challenge and the prompt today is to educate you on something I know about. I thought long and hard about this. I mean, what do I know enough about to tell people about? And how do I say it? Do I make it informational? Funny? Sarcastic? Something completely made up? I honestly had no idea.

Then it came to me... TRAVEL!!!  Well, the airport/plane/landing/take off bit. I'm not so great at the packing bit. I always travel with too much, and end up using barely any of it. But the airport? Now that I can do!

Firstly...

Always make sure you have PLENTY of time to get to your flight! There is very few things more annoying that sitting on the plane waiting for someone to get to the plane. Or when you're the one rushing through the terminal because you're late (I've done it once, completely not my fault. It was a gate change no one told us about and I HATED it). So please, be there way before time. Whether it's domestic or international. You can sit with your luggage if you have to. You won't be the only one, I guarantee it (I'll at least be there with you). When they say you can check in X amount of time before your flight leaves, I like to be there before the x amount of time. I'll quite happily sit and drink hot chocolates, eat something, or people watch. And I like to know that I'm going to get a seat (all airlines overbook their planes), so I'm always there really early.

And it's not just the airport. There could be car accidents, train line closures or work, anything that can make you late for the airport. You are definitely better to be early and sleeping on your suitcase, than late and running through the airport dragging it behind you, or arguing with the person at the check in counter.

Secondly...

Check your bag limits!!! I have been guilty of this (although only twice, and both times the airport has been quiet so I haven't held anyone up thankfully). Even if you aren't holding someone up (which is annoying for them), it's also embarrassing for you to unpack your suitcase to take out something to lighten the weight. (The first time I just rearranged things between my suitcase and my carry on, the second, I changed my shoes and put on boots). If you can, please please please weight your suitcase a hundred times (ok so that might be a slight exaggeration), on many different scales because they will all show a slightly different weight. It'll save time and hassle.

Thirdly...

Your carry on doesn't need to have everything and the kitchen sink! Here is what mine usually is (and I think this is too much sometimes). *keep in mind I usually fly international. The stuff with the * is stuff I don't have when flying domestically.


  • 1 spare t-shirt/underclothes/small emergency toiletries*
  • a pair of thongs (for when I land and need to take my heavy shoes off)*
  • Laptop and associated cords *(sometimes on domestic, depending on where I'm going and for how long)
  • Camera and associated cords (usually in my handbag with my phone charger)
  • Personal items such as wallet/phone/passport/visa etc
  • long sleeved tee*
  • hoodie or other warm clothes*
  • lollies and water
  • medications/tissues etc
  • makeup/hand cream etc
  • travel pillow*
  • puzzle book/book/magazine etc
As you can see, it looks like a lot, but it usually takes up very little space. The hardest thing to lug around is usually the laptop (unless I'm coming home from being away for a while aka Vancouver, where I use my carry on to fit everything that wouldn't fit into my suitcase). And it's all neatly packed so I know exactly where everything is. In fact, I do it now in small ziplock bags, so I can just take out the bags I need (food, makeup/creams/ipod etc) and just put the bags in the seat back before I put my carry on in the overhead locker, and then I don't need to get up to get anything. 

I have had the unfortunate luck to sit on an aisle seat when someone needed to go through their carry on for  something and I've been hit in the head with the stuff they're searching through. Not a great way to make friends on a 16 hour flight.

It also makes the security line easier if you don't carry everything and the kitchen sink with you. If you know what needs to come out (electrical items), plus knowing your shoes/belt/change/some jewelry needs to go through the scanner, you can just put them in 2 (no more than 2) bins when it's your turn. It's also helpful if you start to do this when you get close to the end of the line, not when you get to your turn. This makes the line go a little faster and smoother, and makes everyone behind you a little happier. And please take your shoes off before you get to your turn in the line. Then take them away from the belt when they come through and sit on one of the provided chairs to put them back on. No-one wants a stray elbow to the face while you're jumping around trying to put on your belt/shoes/jewellery etc. And please buy your water AFTER security. No one wants to hear you arguing with security about a half empty plastic water bottle. If you do have one, toss it and buy a new one.


Fourthly...

When they call your plane to start boarding, please listen to the row numbers they call. It's so very annoying when they call your row number and you have to elbow and claw your way through people who aren't in that section to get to the gate. Please, take a seat and wait for them to call your section. You have a ticket, you're at the gate, I promise you won't miss out. The plane isn't going to leave without you.

Fifthly...

When the cabin crew ask you to take your seat and get ready for take off, please do that. That's not a cue for you to remember that you desperately need your phone/earplugs/eye mask etc. If you haven't got it, get up and get it when you're in the air. The plane trip will be long enough, don't make it any longer by delaying take off like a kid ignoring their teacher. 

Sixthly....

When the plane lands (and everyone heaves a sigh of relief (for many different reasons)), you don't have to get up immediately. You won't get out, or get through customs/security etc any faster. I have had one person practically climb over me to get off the plane first, then when I get to customs, he was only a few people ahead of me in the line. You are going to have to wait for your bags anyway, so there is no need to rush. The plane is crowded, and no one needs to be hit by the luggage you are practically throwing around to get to your own.

And lastly...

Please be kind to the people in security and customs. These people have the right to put you on a plane and send you back home before you have even left the airport. If they want to do a security check, let them. As long as the sniffer dogs haven't targeted you, it is more than likely a random check. Let them do their thing, and they'll let you go to get on with your trip. They get abused enough that they'll appreciate someone who smiles, says hello, and is generally polite to them.

I hope this came across the way I hope it will... informative, and not to authoritative. If it did, I didn't mean it to :D

Enjoy your next flight

D! 

No comments:

Post a Comment